Parish of Balbriggan


On behalf of  Frs. Brendan, Tony and Donal and all in the Parish of Balbriggan, Balrothery & Balscadden we would like to offer you our Congratulations on your decision to marry.

We hope that the information here will be helpful to you in the plans for your Wedding.

In order to complete the necessary paperwork for both Church and State, at least three months notice is required by both.

“Love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.”  

(Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

From “He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven,” in The Collected Poems of W. B. Yeats:

But I, being poor have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

For the State:

The State requires that you give at least three months later.

Contact the Registrar’s Office to set up an interview.

At the end of that interview, you will be furnished with a Marriage Registration Form –  MRF. This is the Form which is signed at the end of the Ceremony i.e “The Signing of the Register”. For that reason, this Form should be kept safe.

For the Church

The Roman Catholic Church

The Church has always seen the family, not only as the basic unit of society, but also as the cradle of the Faith. It is by the Sacrament Matrimony that the family unit is established and supported. The Church must, therefore, concerned that her members be properly prepared, in faith to confer and to receive the Sacrament. She must also be concerned to ensure, as far as possible, that those who would enter this state have a realistic appreciation of the capability for life-long commitment which Christian marriage demands.

The couple wishing to arrange a wedding should contact the Parish Office:

Within six months of the date of their marriage the couple should organise the following documents in order to have their Pre-nuptial papers completed by a priest in the parish in which they live:

All of these documents must be dated within six months of the Wedding Day.

Couples who live in the Parish and wish to be married outside the parish must arrange for their own priest to celebrate their Wedding Ceremony. Unfortunately, it is not possible for the priests in the parish to travel to weddings outside the parish due other parochial demands.

Where both parties live outside the Parish of Balbriggan, they are required to supply their own priest.

Couples are advised to arrange to complete a Pre-Marriage course. Early booking is advisable. A Certificate is presented on completion of this course. This Cert is then given to the priest  who is looking after their Pre-nuptial Papers.

Couples often ask about the Ceremony itself. Firstly, decide whether you would like to celebrate the marriage within Mass, or not.

You may find it helpful to look at  where you will find a wide range of Scripture readings, Prayers of the Faithful and hints on preparing for your Wedding Day. They also have the facility for you to create your own booklet.

We hope that you enjoy the planning for this very important day in your lives. If we can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Communication is so important – remember Only a convict likes to be stopped in the middle of a sentence!

Getting Married outside of Ireland ?

Marriages which take place outside the State are normally registered in the country in which they occur and are NOT registered in Ireland. Persons marrying abroad should ensure that all the legal requirements of the country in question are met, and should enquire as to the procedure for obtaining a marriage certificate from that country – the relevant Embassy and/or religious authorities may be able to advise.

In particular, the Italian Embassy, (63 Northumberland Road, Dublin 4, tel: +353 (0) 1 660 17 44) can provide useful information on marriage in Rome. If a marriage certificate is in a foreign language, it should normally be accepted for official purposes in this State if accompanied by an official translation, or a translation from a recognised translation agency. If one or both of the parties to a marriage contracted abroad is or are ordinarily resident in the State, both of them must be over 18 for the marriage to be valid in Irish law.

Certificates of Freedom to marry (also known as ‘Civil Letters of Freedom’, “Certificates de Coutume” or “Certificates of Nulla Osta”) which state that a person is not married, may be needed for marriage in some foreign countries, and are not issued by the General Register Office. Irish citizens living in Ireland wishing to obtain such a Certificate should apply to the Consular Section of the Department of Foreign Affairs, 72/76 St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2, Tel.: +353 (0) 1 4082568. Irish Citizens living abroad should contact their nearest Irish Embassy.

The General Register Office has no function in advising on, or in the registration of, marriages which take place outside the State. There is no facility for registering such marriages in the State, and the civil marriage certificate would normally be accepted as the legal proof of the marriage. In cases where a serious doubt exists as to whether the marriage is recognised in Irish law, legal advice may be sought and an application made to the Circuit Family Court for a ruling under Section 29 of the Family Law Act, 1995 as to whether the marriage is recognisable under Irish law.



Registrar-General of Marriages, General Register Office, Government Offices, Convent Road, Roscommon, LoCall 1890-252 076 or 0906-632900;

Department of Foreign Affairs, Consular Section, 80 St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2, Tel. +353 (0) 1 4082568 (Civil Letter of Freedom for marriage abroad);

The Embassy of Italy, 63 Northumberland Road, Dublin 4; Tel: +353 (0) 1 660 17 44;

The Embassy of the United Kingdom, 31 Merrion Rd, Dublin 4; Tel. +353 (0) 1 2053700

The addresses of the other embassies appear in the telephone directory under Diplomatic & Consular Missions, Embassies.